Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I am on SSD and I set up a check pay bills and

Customer Question
Hello, I am on SSD and...
I am on SSD and I set up a check pay for my bills and the night before they said I didn't have the funds in there because I didn't get paid till tomorrow when my bills were do. So, I went and gave every creditor my account number and routing number so that the bills would be paid on time. The next day after I had my bills paid the bank issued checks to these places after they stated that the night before that funds were needed. Like on my credit cards, when it says "Funds needed" it means it will not get paid. Will I go to jail if I can't pay back all the money? I've already spoke to the bank and they are trying to get back all the electronically sent money. There isn't much to get back. I really paid my money! The bank is Chase. A little insight please!
Thank you and regards,
Chris K
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
7/5/2015
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Hi, Chris, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and Criminal for 20, and look forward to assisting you.
No, generally, banking errors are not criminal acts if done by accident. Had you sent a check KNOWING it was not supported by funds, that can be criminal, but here, you were told the bills would not be paid, so you went and tried to have them paid.
Chances are, if the checks sent by the bank get/got sent, and they bounce, the recipients will likely let you know that they got a stopped check (even though you didn't owe the money, since you'd already paid them). They may charge you a bounced check fee, but given that you actually didn't even owe the check, I can't see them having an reason to believe this was a criminal act to steal/defraud, since you had absolutely nothing to gain.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq