How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4623
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 84 , retired and receive SS (took it at age 62). My wife(age

Customer Question

I am 84 , retired and receive SS (took it at age 62). My wife(age 81) died in Feb 2015, she took social security at age 62. Am I eligible for survivors benefits as well as the $1345.00 I get from social security now?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer and can assist. Survivor benefits are based on your spouse's work history. You can switch, but it only makes sense if the survivor benefit would be larger than your own. You don't get both. The best way to see if your spousal benefit is larger is to go to your SSA office and ask for a comparison of benefits. You can't apply online. 1-***-***-**** is the phone number to call and set an appointment at your local SSA office. Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomerl