Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I am 56 y/o nurse (LPN). I have going to pain mgmt

Customer Question
for over 7 years. Chronic...
I am 56 y/o nurse (LPN). I have going to pain mgmt for over 7 years. Chronic neck & back pain. MRI's show chronic changes at all levels, multi bulging discs & flattening of thecal sac multi levels cervical & lumbar. Spinal stenosis L4/L5. I have worked for same facility for over 21 years & am giving resignation on Monday as I cannot continue to work thru the pain any longer. I am just wondering if I have a good chance of getting ssdi
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
7/5/2015
Social Security Expert: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: It really depends. You would be eligible for Social Security Disability benefits if you can show that you have worked long enough to earn benefits and that you are unable to work because of your disability and that your disability is expected to last for at least 12 months. Social Security Administration has a very strict definition of disability. Even if you have been under pain management for over seven years that may not necessarily qualify you for Social Security Disability Benefits.
Your ailment should be on the list of impairments. Click here to see the list:
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/AdultListings.htm
You can apply for benefits online or make appointment to go to your Social Security Administration local office. You are better off doing it online in the privacy of your home--you can take your time in completing the application and the disability report.
The process is a long one and it would require a lot of patience from you:
(1) Your initial application would most likely be denied;
(2) Then, you would be given opportunity to ask for review. New updated disability report should be completed as part of this request for review. You could be turned down by the reviewing officer on your second go at it;
(3) You would be given another opportunity to appeal, this time to the Administrative Law Judge ("ALJ"). This is where most people get approved for benefits. It could take up to a year for your case to be resolved.
You can get an Attorney to assist you once you have applied and have been turned down so that the Attorney can handle the requests for appeal for you or you can get an Attorney to assist you from the beginning. Attorneys cannot charge up front for helping you apply for disability benefits. Attorneys only get paid if you are approved for benefits and they get paid a percentage of your past due benefits. The fees that the Attorneys can charge are regulated by the Social Security Administration. You can also see if you can get assistance from legal services organizations in your area for free.
Click here to see how Attorneys get paid for disability claims:
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10075.html#part6
Click on the links below to find Attorneys that handle disability claims:
http://www.justia.com/
http://www.lawyers.com/
Click on the links below to start the application process:
(A) The Steps:
http://www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/?h
(B) Checklists:
http://www.ssa.gov/hlp/radr/10/ovw001-checklist.htm
(C) Application:
https://secure.ssa.gov/iCLM/dib
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law