How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4511
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter married later in life 39. Although she and her

Customer Question

My daughter married later in life 39. Although she and her husband dated over 10 years they were married only six when her husband found out he had HepC and died within a two month period of liver cancer. Although not married 10 years does she qualify for any help by Social Security at all?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer and will assist.
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
She might qualify for assistance if there are children of the marriage.
If not, widows benefits don't typically start until the widow is age 60 or greater.
From the social Security Administration:
"If you are the widow or widower of a person who worked long enough under Social Security, you can:
receive full benefits at full retirement age for survivors or reduced benefits as early as age 60.
begin receiving benefits as early as age 50 if you are disabled AND the disability started before or within seven years of the worker's death.
Note: If a widow or widower who is caring for the worker's children receives Social Security benefits, he or she is still eligible if their disability starts before those payments end or within seven years after they end.
A widow, widower or surviving divorced spouse cannot apply online for survivors benefits. If you wish to apply for disability benefits as a survivor, contact Social Security at 1-***-***-**** to request an appointment. (If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our TTY number, 1-***-***-****.)" is the link to that and more information.
Sorry the law doesn't seem to offer any more immediate help.
Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer