Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

We just moved to a new address in same city. My husband and…

Customer Question
We just moved to a...
We just moved to a new address in same city. My husband and I are on social security and receive our checks in what was a joint account. The account address has been changed with the Bank where I was also on the checks and had signing ability but my husband was the "owner" of the account.. The account number is ***** same but the new checks will have only his name as Chase says they no longer have the the same policy that Mutual had before the name change.
My husband pays the billss. Will we still receive my social security check to the account, the number of which hasn't changed ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
7/3/2015
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 3 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
What do you mean, "the account address has changed". Did the bank get bought out by Chase AND move to a different street?
The bank hasn't changed address but we have and wanted to order new checks. Mutual has changed to Chase. The problem is we do not want a delay is social security payments which are deposited to the account number but the new checks will have only my husband's name on them. (Both of our names were on the account that receives the direct deposits ie John Swanson and Carla Swanson; they , the bank said the old checks with both of our names will still be honored but the new checks will have only my husband's name on them because the bsnk (now Chase) doesn't have the system that Mutual had where my husband was the owner of the account and I had only signing ability. We get paid on the third Wednesday of the month and do not want a delay in the direct deposits. We were wondering that since the account number and bank address is the same whether the change in the appearance of the checks and the new policy of Chase will affect the direct deposit for Carla Swanson
Hey again, and thank you for the clarification:
OK, the appearance of the checks should not matter, as I understand it. However, if Chase changed the routing number, which would typically be the case when the it buys out a bank, that may be a problem. You will want to go to
http://ssa.gov/myaccount/
There you can update your direct deposit banking information. It is still early in the month, so you should have enough time.
And of course, you want to change your mailing address as well!
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!