How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently getting social security on me as I made more

Customer Question

I am currently getting social security on me as I made more and worked longer then my husband. He passed away in 1995. I heard that I can receive an additional $250 per month - need to prove we were married and show marriage license and death certificate. Is this correct and if so, how do I apply.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 2 years ago.
It is not $250 per month but a one time benefit of $255 as a death benefit. Likewise, since you earned more, you are entitled only to the higher of the two benefits but not combined.