Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My wife pass a way 3 years ago and made much more money then…

Customer Question
my wife pass a way...
my wife pass a way 3 years ago and made much more money then I did . I went on disability in 1990. So just before my wife past, she went on ss and then long term insurance which ss took out of her ss benefits. about 374. per month that made her ss 2.00 less then mine so when she died I did not get any increase in my ss. my question is can I get that extra back for me? the ss office says no, but that would make a big difference to me. as we lost so much income.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
7/1/2015
Social Security Expert: dylatess, ATTORNEY replied 3 years ago
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
The SSA is correct. that is, as your wife was collecting from long term disability, that is a proper offset against SS benefits. Therefore, you are not entitled to retro active benefits. Sorry. Thanks for understanding.