dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My wife pass a way 3 years ago and made much more money then

Customer Question

my wife pass a way 3 years ago and made much more money then I did . I went on disability in 1990. So just before my wife past, she went on ss and then long term insurance which ss took out of her ss benefits. about 374. per month that made her ss 2.00 less then mine so when she died I did not get any increase in my ss. my question is can I get that extra back for me? the ss office says no, but that would make a big difference to me. as we lost so much income.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 2 years ago.
The SSA is correct. that is, as your wife was collecting from long term disability, that is a proper offset against SS benefits. Therefore, you are not entitled to retro active benefits. Sorry. Thanks for understanding.