How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4516
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently receiving S.S. benefits based on my income and

Customer Question

I am currently receiving S.S. benefits based on my income and an early retirement. Am I entitled to an increase in benefits based on the higher income of my former wife. Our marriage was from June 30, 1973 to May 21, 1992.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist. If you claimed social security before full retirement age, any spousal benefit would be discounted for early claim as well. There might be a higher net benefit available, just wanted to start with the discount issue first.You were married long enough, and if you collect social security now, u qualify for a divorce benefit. You can check online, but the fastest way to see if you get a higher benefit is to go to a local SSA office and review your ex's work history with a claims person.From SSA:
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
Information You Need To Apply For Spouse's Or Divorced Spouse's Benefits - Form SSA-2You can apply:Online, if you are within 3 months of age 62 or older, orBy calling our national toll-free service at1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****) or visiting your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.You can help by being ready to:Provide any needed documents; andAnswer the questions listed below.Documents you may need to provideWe may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:Birth certificate or other proof of birth;Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year.Final divorce decree, if applying as a divorced spouse; andMarriage certificate.ImportantWe accept photocopies of W-2 forms, self-employment tax returns or medical documents, but we must see the original of most other documents, such as your birth certificate. (We will return them to you.)Do not delay applying for benefits because you do not have all the documents. We will help you get them.What we will ask youYour name, gender and Social Security number;Your name at birth (if different);Your date of birth and place of birth (State or foreign country);Whether a public or religious record was made of your birth before age 5;Your citizenship status;Whether you or anyone else has ever filed for Social Security benefits, Medicare or Supplemental Security Income on your behalf (if so, we will also ask for information on whose Social Security record you applied);Whether you have used any other Social Security number;Whether you became unable to work because of illnesses, injuries or conditions at any time within the past 14 months. If "Yes," we will also ask the date you became unable to work;Whether you were ever in the active military service before 1968 and, if so, the dates of service and whether you have ever been eligible to receive a monthly benefit from a military or Federal civilian agency;Whether you or your spouse have ever worked for the railroad industry;Whether you have earned Social Security credits under another country's social security system;Whether you qualified for or expect to receive a pension or annuity based on your own employment with the Federal government of the United States or one of its States or local subdivisions;Whether you are currently married and, if so, your spouse's name, date of birth (or age) and Social Security number (if known).The names, dates of birth (or age) and Social Security numbers (if known) of any former spouses;The dates and places of each of your marriages and, for marriages that have ended, how and when they ended;The names of any unmarried children under 18, 18-19 and in secondary school or disabled before age 22;The name(s) of your employer(s) and/or information about your self-employment and the amount of your earnings for this year, last year and next year;Whether we may contact your employers for wage information;The month you want your benefits to begin; andIf you are within 3 months of age 65, whether you want to enroll in Medical Insurance (Part B of Medicare).Depending on the information you provide, we may need to ask other questions.
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago. if the link.Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.