Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

If I draw social security at age 65, do I have to draw medicare

Customer Question
if I am still working...
If I draw social security at age 65, do I have to draw medicare if I am still working. And if I draw at age 65, can I still work as any hours as I can.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
6/29/2015
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

With regard to your post:

"If I draw social security at age 65, do I have to draw medicare if I am still working. -------- If you have "creditable coverage" from your employer provided health insurance, you need not take Medicare at this time. You will want to get a certificate/letter from the employer/HR/insurance carrier that specifically says you have such creditable coverage. If you don't have that, you may be later charged a Medicare premium of 10% for EVERY year you didn't sign up for Part B after age 65.

"And if I draw at age 65, can I still work as any hours as I can." --------- Yes, but you may owe back some SS benefits that you were not eligible for. You can only collect early SS if you are actually largely retired. This means under $15,720/year. Once you actually reach your full retirement age, you are no longer subject to this earnings test, and can earn as much as you wish while still collecting your SS benefit.

Added note: by taking early, you suffer a permanent discount in your SS benefit, below 100% of your Primary Insurance Amount. If you can wait til age 70 to collect, you increase your benefit amount another 32% higher than if you took at your full retirement age, and that increase is permanent, every month.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online legal resource!

Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq