How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband passed away on the 18 th of June and I don't know

Customer Question

My husband passed away on the 18 th of June and I don't know what I am supposed to do. He was 65 years old and so am I. We were married 47 years and I want to know if I can draw widows benifits. I also need to know where to start and when and what documents I need.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 2 years ago.
So sorry for your loss. At 65, you can apply for SS benefits and you are entitled to your widow's benefit which is the same amount your husband would have received had he applied. You can apply on line at but I recommend that you go in person to any SSA office. Note, you will need to bring a copy of the death certificate. Again. so sorry for you.