dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My husband passed away on the 18 th of June and I don't know

Customer Question

My husband passed away on the 18 th of June and I don't know what I am supposed to do. He was 65 years old and so am I. We were married 47 years and I want to know if I can draw widows benifits. I also need to know where to start and when and what documents I need.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 2 years ago.
So sorry for your loss. At 65, you can apply for SS benefits and you are entitled to your widow's benefit which is the same amount your husband would have received had he applied. You can apply on line at ssa.gov but I recommend that you go in person to any SSA office. Note, you will need to bring a copy of the death certificate. Again. so sorry for you.