ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

My wife and I will be 70 and 73, respectively in October 2015.

Customer Question

My wife and I will be 70 and 73, respectively in October 2015. We both have only Medicare Part A. Until now we have both been covered with health insurance through her company. We have always been told by the company's HR department and Medicare that as long as the company provided health insurance for more than 50 employees we did not have to sign up for additional coverage under Medicare. We are now at a point when my wife's position may be eliminated and as a result her company health insurance will terminated. We would like to know how much time do we need between the time she is terminated and we have to sign up for Medicare before any penalty is imposed.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
You should go to a local SS office NOW and although the date for her termination has not been set, gather all the forms necessary to apply.
You should also inquire as to what the costs will be to determine how you will pay (directly or via SS deductions).
You will also have to start researching and selecting what company you will use.
I will offer you a call to discuss all the intricate details so when the time comes you are ready.
I will NOT charge you the normal JA 18 call fee as you are both older. The telephone conversation will be a flat 5. This is the minimum JA allows . We will speak as long as necessary to make sure you are well versed in what to do.