Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband passes away in September of 2009. I had taken my…

Customer Question
My husband passes away in...
My husband passes away in September of 2009. I had taken my SS at age 62 but he had waited until age 70. I switched to his benefits in 2009. Now I am wondering if the computation was correct...based on the amount I receive as opposed to others I am low.Who do I contact to review this?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
6/24/2015
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 3 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
If you were at least full retirement age (66, but as young as 65 if you were born in or before 1937) when you switched to the survivor benefit, you would have been entitled to 100% of the benefit that your husband was receiving at the time of his death.
However, if you were not yet full retirement age when you applied for the survivor benefit, your benefit would have decreased based on how many months early you applied for your survivor benefit before your full retirement age.
In order to give you a clear and complete answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. How old were you when you took your survivor benefit?
2. What year were you born in?
Doug