Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions, experienced business attorney.
18572087

How is the number of years of marriage calculated. If married

Customer Question

How is the number of years of marriage calculated. If married in December 1973 and filed a joint return in 1973 and divorced in March 1983 and filed a joint return for 1983, is that calculated as at least ten years married?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. My apologies but a marriage is calculated not by filings but by date. Therefore if the actual date is under 10 years, then there is no eligibility under Social Security guidelines. It is not based on tax returns but physical dates of marriage. I do apologize and understand that this is not the answer you hoped to get, but it is valid under the circumstances. Sincerely, ***** *****