ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

I am divorced. I was married + years. When I first

Customer Question

I am divorced. I was married for 22 + years. When I first applied at 65 I received SS. Benefits from my former spouse . Then I retired at 70 with Ca. Teachers pension. I did not work outside home when raising our children 1970-1976. SS. Took away my spousel benefits. According to internet I should receive them as a divorced spouse. Do I qualify??
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
Yes and no.
Yes because you were married for at least 10 years. No if your spouse is not collecting or has not "filed and suspended".
In addition in 1983 Congress passed the "windfall tax provision" that will effect you.
I will offer you a phone discussion because I think this is the easiest way to help you. I prefer a call. Often information from a call changes the original answer (based on the limited information supplied in the original question).
Additional information normally comes out in a call and I am better able to give an exact answer that applies to YOUR situation.
We will speak as long as necessary to resolve your issue. The average JA additional call price is 18.00 I charge only 5.00
All you need do is accept the offer ($5) and I'll be able to share my number with you in a private screen.
I am available now.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 2 years ago.
Please rate my response in order that I can close this question out.
It will cost you nothing extra to do so and will help me greatly.
Thank you so very much in advance.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 2 years ago.
Please rate me with an OK (at least). It costs you nothing extra and that is how I get paid.