How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ShawnA Your Own Question
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2884
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
ShawnA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently involved in a divorce with my spouse, medically

Customer Question

I am currently involved in a divorce with my spouse, medically disabled with social security income and a medical disability pension. My total gross income is $57,000 and my spouse's gross income is around $70,000 to $72,000. My daughter who is a minor at 14 years of age, receives medical disability income because of my medical disability, causing my income to climb from $44,000 to $57,000. Because of this, my spouse will only pay me $688 per month in child support, and I have been informed from my divorce attorney that I don't qualify for spousal support because of my income. I was married for 23 years and my husband abandoned me and my family to have an affair. In michigan, is social security income to the child considered income to the mother, disqualifying her to receive spousal support in a divorce case where most of the factors considered in spousal support would go in my favor? My attorney told me I don't qualify and my expenses at the home is enormous and he left me with all of the bills only giving me child support. I have been advised that I need to consider bankruptcy, but I would like to know whether my daughter's income should even be considered income to me when spousal support is being considered in Michigan? Thanks, Karen
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
Please note that your daughter's payments from SS are NOT taxable to you, nor are they considered "income" to you. While you may be the payee these are your CHILD's payments (tax free).
If you'd like to discuss this vie telephone you should receive an offer from JA. If you accept it I will be notified.
I come across this situation regularly. The child's payments are often mistaken as "income".
Expert:  ShawnA replied 2 years ago.
Please rate my response in order that I can close this question out.
It will cost you nothing extra to do so and will help me greatly.
Thank you so very much in advance.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 2 years ago.
Please rate me. It costs you nothing extra and that is how I get paid.