dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

There My somewhat confusing question is the following. I

Customer Question

Hi there
My somewhat confusing question is the following.
I was just told that my SS payment will be reduced by 45% based on the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP)
Background
I worked in Canada as a Canadian citizen for various Canadian companies until 1993 when I was "head hunted" down to the US.
I meet the CPP (Canada Pension Plan ) criteria and could receive @$550 CDN per month.
I also meet the US SS criteria and have over 20-21 years of paying into SS .
I have obtained US citizenship since moving here.
In summary, I have paid into each system as a citizen of the country I lived in at the time.
As I plan to retire at 65, my SS monthly benefit(calculated based on my earnings since moving to the US in 1993 and detailed within a US Social Security April 2015 correspondence to me) has been reduced to reflect early retirement.
I learned today that based on WEP that the amount detailed in the April 2015 correspondence will be reduced another 45%
Help
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good evening,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. What question do you have? Help, while explanatory of your feelings leaves me with little to say of any benefit.
This seems like a very serious situation for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.
Thanks in advance,
Doug