Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Is a spouse entitled to retirement benefit of the deceased…

Customer Question
Is a spouse entitled to...
Is a spouse entitled to retirement benefit of the deceased if the spouse's benefit is less than that being received by the deceased.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
6/19/2015
Social Security Expert: ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients.. replied 3 years ago
ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
Yes and no. It depends on the length of the marriage, the age of the spouse, etc.
I will offer you a call and determine your exact situation and benefits.
If you were married less than 10 years the answer is a simple no.
In addition you must be at least 60 (unless he or you are disabled).
Realize that you will ONLY get a certain % of any benefit (his, yours, etc) if you start before FRA (full retirement age).
A call is the most useful way to answer your question exactly and swiftly.
Please rate my response in order that I can close this question out.
It will cost you nothing extra to do so and will help me greatly.
Thank you so very much in advance.
Please rate me with an OK (at least). It costs you nothing extra and that is how I get paid.