Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband died in 2004, I have never married. I turned 60…

Customer Question
My husband died in 2004...
My husband died in 2004, I have never married. I turned 60 on May 26, 2015 and was told I could file on his social security at that point. When I called I was told I make too much money $(35000/yr) and couldn't get any money. I was then told if I file in Jan. I may be able to get a check by August.
What I red was that I could get his SS, but that after I earned a certain amount, I would pay tax on the remainder.
Is there anything I can do to start collecting my late-husband's social security?
Marcy Aho
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
6/19/2015
Social Security Expert: ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients.. replied 3 years ago
ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
This is not so simple to answer as many factors effect the answer.
The amount of his benefit, the discount, your earnings ALL are part of the road that guides you to your SS ability to collect and the amount collected.
I will offer you a call to explain in detail what your options are.
Because you are only age 60 you get only 71% of his benefit.
If you were FRA (Full Retirement Age - 66) you could get it all.
If you start NOW you will ALWAYS get 71% of anything.
Even if you change to YOUR benefit at age 66 you still get only b71%
In addition there is a 2:1 reduction of benefits for monies earned prior to FRA.
For every 2 dollars above about 15,000 they reduce SS payments by 1 dollar.
35,000-15,000=20,000 /2 = 10,000 reduction of benefits.
Remember that you are only qualified for 71% of HIS benefit. From that subtract the 10,000
JA has a minimum charge for "additional services" of 5.00
If you would like to speak, and we can speak for as long as necessary, simply accept the offer.
Please rate my response in order that I can close this question out.
It will cost you nothing extra to do so and will help me greatly.
Thank you so very much in advance.
Please rate me with an OK (at least). It costs you nothing extra and that is how I get paid.