How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe less than two thousand dollars in back child support.

Customer Question

i owe less than two thousand dollars in back child support. my wages are now being garnished for two hundred and fifty dollars a month per court order.i recently received notice that my social security would be garnished for an additional 250 per month. my question is is this double dipping legal and at what level will it stop?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
If I may ask, are both orders for child support, or is the current garnishment for something else, such as restitution? Are you still paying support, or are these just arrears?