Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I worked in Canada years until March l960 when I married…

Customer Question
I worked in Canada for...
I worked in Canada for 16 years until March l960 when I married and went to live in the USA.
I am 87 years old and with very limited income which does not cover all my expenses.
Am I entitled to any benefit from my Canadian work from Canadian Social Security? I was married in Canada and am still a Canadian citizen as well as a US citizen.
Please answer soon. ***@******.***
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
6/16/2015
Social Security Expert: ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients.. replied 3 years ago
ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
Congratulations!!! yes you are entitled to Canadian SS.
Provided:
Universal pension (Old-Age Security): Age 65 or older with at least 10 years of residence in Canada after age 18. Retirement from employment is not necessary.
The pension is payable abroad if the beneficiary resided in Canada for at least 20 years after age 18.
I will offer you a call to discuss this because I think this is the easiest way to help you. I prefer a call. Often information from a call changes the original answer (based on the limited information supplied in the original question).
Additional information normally comes out in a call and I am better able to give an exact answer that applies to YOUR situation.
We will speak as long as necessary to resolve your issue. This is the minimum JA allows for additional services ($5-$500).
All you need do is accept the offer ($5) and I'll be able to share my number with you in a private screen.
I am available now.