How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently found an original response from SS Administration,

Customer Question

I recently found an original response from SS Administration, Baltimore, MD, 21235, undated, addressed to me, Patricia M. Kearns,###-##-####(DOB 17 May 1937) documenting information about my SS earnings. The information covered the periods 1951 thru l971, with earnings of $4,902.99. 1972 thru Dec 1978 indicated no earnings. Total - 1937 thru Dec 1975 reflected $4,902.99. I retired as a civilian employee from the DOD in 2001.
How can I draw out my SS earnings from 1951-1971.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Your social security benefits are payable on a monthly basis based on your lifetime social security taxed income and are not a fund from which you can simply make a withdrawal.
You will need to apply for your social security benefits in order to be paid them. You may seek retroactive benefits for 6 month prior to your application date but that is the most that may be paid to you retroactively.
All you need to do is to make your application for benefits; which you can do online.
You can apply online for your Social Security Retirement Benefit at this site:
Any benefit you are entitled to will be paid to you for the remainder of your life in monthly installments.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I never retired from SS. Is the money I paid in during the years mentioned in original note just gone. I never paid any more SS during my years while working for DOD. I was covered by DOD retirement. I don't know if this or the previous reply to you was received.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
You don’t retire from social security. If you worked 10 years or more while paying social security taxes on your income, then you almost certainly worked long enough for a social security benefit.
You will need to apply for your social security retirement benefit in order to get it.
This seems like a very serious situation for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.
Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.
If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
I wish you well,

Related Social Security Questions