Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I am currently collecting SDI benefits in Calif, and this ends in the next couple

Customer Question
hello I...
hello I am currently collecting SDI benefits in Calif, and this ends in the next couple months. I am looking for a lawyer to help me through the process of filing, getting approved and eventually collecting Federal Permanent Disability benefits. I am unable to return to full time employment because of my medical conditions. is there anyone out there who is familiar with the process??? thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
6/16/2015
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good morning,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am an expert handling social security law and I am very familiar with the application process.
If you have been disabled for at least 5 months and your disability appears to be one which will last longer than 12 months---and based on your statement of facts it does---then you may immediately apply for Social Security Disability (SSDI) benefits. SSDI benefits are payable as soon as 5 months after your disability begins. And by filing now, even today, getting your application in will ensure that you are eligible for retroactive SSDI benefits dating back to 5 months after your disability began, up to 12 months of retroactive benefits. Additionally, when your benefits are approved you will receive payment for both the retroactive benefits as well as those benefits from the date of your application to the time of your first payment.
Because the application process can take at least several months, and sometimes longer is it important that you do file for SSDI benefits as soon as you are eligible.
Social Security's definition of disability is as follows:
"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:
• You cannot do work that you did before;
• Social Security decides that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
• Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.
Here is a link where you can apply online for your benefit: http://www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/ Your benefit will be about the same as your full retirement age retirement benefit. And after 2 years on disability you will automatically become eligible and receive Medicare benefits to help pay for your typical medical expenses.
In conclusion, you appear eligible to apply for SSDI benefits now and the earlier you apply the sooner you will be qualified, receive any retroactive and post-application benefits and have your monthly benefits begin. The application process can be completed online and social security will order your medical records to prove up your disability.
Again, you can apply online for your Disability (SSDI) benefit at this site: http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug
LawTalk, Attorney