PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

I just began getting ssdi, and I am supposed to teach a couple

Customer Question

I just began getting ssdi, and I am supposed to teach a couple of classes for a 3 week long day camp. It is in no way full-time, but, since I've taught there for ten years, and I have a specialized skill, I am paid above the SSDI gross monthly income for that time period. Will this 3 week period jeopardize my benefits? My yearly gross monthly income averages below the limit, even with the money from the day camp.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to the site. I'mCustomer and will be helping you today.
The test is monthly, not annual. It would mean you exceed the income for the month. The Trial Work Period allows an unlimited amount of earnings in a 9 month period over a five year term before your benefits are threatened. For 2015, $780 is the monthly amount SSA uses to see if you could work.
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/twp.html is a link to SSA's web page explaining the trial work period.
Months over $780 in earnings count against the limit. Keep that number under 9 for the five year test period.
Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The link didn't work.
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/twp.html does.
Customer