Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 66 years old woman, still working full time. I did not…

Customer Question
I am 66 years old...
I am 66 years old woman, still working full time. I did not ask my soc.security benefits yet.
My husband died 3 weeks ago. I wanted to take his social security amount and defer my own until I am 70 years olda.
The lady at the Soc. Sec. Office asked me if I got soc. security from somewhere else. I told yes, because being originally Hungarian, I worked 20 years in Hungary and therefore I was entitled to the Hungarian soc.security/pension. I opened a bank account in Budapest, and being American citizen with American passport, I gave the bank my soc. sec.number, in lack of which I could not have opened an Forint account. I get my Hungarian pension in Hungarian Forint in Budapest, so far I did not touch it, did not exchange it or transferred it to America.
The lady told me, that because I have benefits from Hungary (which I indicated every year in my tax papers), I shall be entitled only 1/3 of my late husband's social security, which would be little over 200 dollars. My pension is paid by Hungary, after my 20 year work in Hungary, and my social security is to be paid in America, because I worked 17 years in America. And as I told you, I would take my late husbands soc.security and defer my own until I am 70 year old.
I feel that I am entitled the full amount of my late husband's social security 100%. Why am I punished that I worked in Hungary also, and since 2011 I get pension from there.
The lady also demanded that I show them a letter from the Hungarian Consulate (New York), which indicates since when and how much pension I got from Hungary. Also the Consulate should indicate the exchange rate. If I do not provide this paper to her, I will not be entitled even the 1/3-rd of my late husbands social security.
Regards, ***** *****
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
6/15/2015
Social Security Expert: ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients.. replied 3 years ago
ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
This is an interesting issue. They are invoking the windfall provision. Please let me know if you would like to discuss this on the telephone and I will spawns you an offer.