How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ShawnA Your Own Question
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2884
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
ShawnA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im 73 collecting my ss check and working 24hrs week how much

Customer Question

im 73 collecting my ss check and working 24hrs week how much can I make so as not to file income tax
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
That depends on your filing status.
What they are doing seems very wrong.
First you would have to earn so little that SS is not taxable.
A quick way to find out if any of your benefits may be taxable is to add one-half of your Social Security benefits to all your other income, including any tax-exempt interest.
Next, compare this total to the base amounts below.
If your total is more than the base amount for your filing status, then some of your benefits may be taxable.
The three base amounts are:
•$25,000 - for single, head of household, qualifying widow or widower with a dependent child or married individuals filing separately who did not live with their spouse at any time during the year
•$32,000 - for married couples filing jointly
•$0 - for married persons filing separately who lived together at any time during the year
If they are married and making more than 32,000 then the SS is taxable as well as their other earnings!!!
Even then, if SS was not taxable there is still federal tax on the "other income". Again your filing status determines the tax rates because they increase as earnings increase.
If you'll tell me you filing status, and tell me if you itemize, I'll give you an exact number of dollars you can earn in order to pay zero taxes.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 2 years ago.
I will offer you a call to discuss this because I think this is the easiest way to help you. I prefer a call. Often information from a call changes the original answer (based on the limited information supplied in the original question).
dditional information normally comes out in a call and I am better able to give an exact answer that applies to YOUR situation.
We will speak as long as necessary to resolve your issue. This is the minimum JA allows for additional services ($5-$500).
All you need do is accept the offer ($5) and I'll be able to share my number with you in a private screen.
I am available now.