How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13549
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Divorced after 20 year marriage. What social security benefits

Customer Question

Divorced after 20 year marriage. What social security benefits available from former spouse?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
Starting at age 62, you can collect a divorced spousal benefit if you are not remarried. But it can be as low as 35% of his primary insurance amount, so many recommend you keep working as til at least full retirement age before collecting a divorced spousal.
If you collect a government pension, and didn't pay SS taxes ON YOUR WORK that created that pension, your divorced spousal benefit can be reduced by the Government Pension Offset, sometimes down to zero. This is because divorced spousal benefits require we be 'dependant' as defined by SSA, so we can't often claim two benefits, be it Government pension or our own SS benefit from our own SS paid work.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!