How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I already asked a question, but I will do it again. Our son

Customer Question

I already asked a question, but I will do it again. Our son of 52 was hit by a car when he was 12. He was left with physical challenges, is blind in one eye and has in closed head injury. He lives in a group home in Chicago, but we would like him to move
to Arizona to be near us. We understand that disabled adults who were disabled before the age of 18 are eligible ffor subsidized government housing. Is this the care?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
I believe that you are confusing subsidized housing---which is controlled by the state, with federal disability benefits afforded disabled adult children who become disabled before age 18.
While your son may qualify for state benefits of some sort if he relocates to AZ, such as a new group home, it will be determined by the state of AZ and what programs they have available. In the meantime, if your son is not receiving social security disability, he should certainly apply either in person at the local social security office, or through on online application.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
What HUD does offer is a voucher program for non-elderly disabled persons in some states(age of onset of disability is not an issue)---so long as there are residential private housing landlords in the are who participate. Here is a link to information about the voucher program that HUD has:
Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.
If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
I wish you well,