How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4516
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son died on 5/19/15. His wife works and they have an adopted

Customer Question

My son died on 5/19/15. His wife works and they have an adopted 11 yr. old boy at home. Will he get social security support until he is 18 yrs. old?
Also, he had another son by someone other than his wife. The boy is a U.S. citizen. Can he also claim social security support based on his father's social security? DNA will determine if my son was his father. What would his mother have to do to get the social security support for this son?
Thank you
Dolores Medina ***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to the site. I'mCustomer and will be helping you today.
His widow will be eligible for survivor benefits, and his adopted son will also be eligible until age 18. is a link to the SSA pamphlet that introduces the subject.
Biological children qualify for benefits as well. That child's mom will need to apply for the benefit, and the same pamphlet covers the materials needed, like birth certificate and proof of parentage (the DNA). The same pamphlet covers how to start the application process.
Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer