Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My mother recently died and was receiving social security.

Customer Question

My mother recently died and was receiving social security. The funeral home filed papers to have her benefits stopped. Is there anything else I should do? Are there burial or death benefits I should ask about?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
I am very sorry for your loss.
There is a death benefit of $255 that typically goes to spouse, but occasionally a child. You may want to stop into your local SSA office to inquire if you would be eligible to receive it.
Also, if you are a disabled person, whose legal disability began before age 22, and you don't have higher disability benefits on your own record, or are on SSI, you may be eligible for Disabled Adult Child benefits on your mom's record (that actually would potentially have kicked in when she started her SS benefits, not just upon her passing).
With regard to burial or life insurances, the executor of her estate, if there is one, or you, will want to look through her belongings to see if there is such a policy, so it can be claimed upon.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!