Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My friend has retired she is receiving ssi ($700.00) because…

Customer Question
My friend has retired she...
My friend has retired she is receiving ssi ($700.00) because after working for a number of years she lacked 6 quarters to receive full ss..she was married to a military man for only 7 years...before they divorced is there any way she can get more money from ss?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/3/2015
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 3 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
My friend has retired she is receiving ssi ($700.00) because after working for a number of years she lacked 6 quarters to receive full ss..she was married to a military man for only 7 years...before they divorced is there any way she can get more money from ss? -------No, there is no way I can think of at this point, since she failed to pay in for the premiums required for this kind of insurance. However, did she know she is entirely free to find a part time or full time job? She COULD be fully insured (albeit not for much) by end of January if she played her cards right. If she needs only 6 more credits, she can get 4 of them in 2015 by working sufficiently to pay SS taxes on $4880 of income earnedin 2015. A mere 4880, that is all it takes to earn all 4. Then, as soon as she can earn a little more than HALF that amount in 2016, she will have the other 2 credits. Unless she is disabled and unable to be even part time productive and earning, there is no law that says she must retire at all.
As well, in her current predicament, she may want to (if she hasn't already) go to her local welfare office (usually county medical assistance office) and see if there are local benefits she may be eligible for due to her low income.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!