Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My father and mother were both on social security. Seven years…

Customer Question
my father and mother were...
my father and mother were both on social security. Seven years ago mom was admitted to a nursing home. during this time dad received moms check because the case worker determined that dad could not live on his social security check only. Mom passed away in march. Her checks stopped at that time. My question is why would this benefit stop. Dad still has the same bills, and food needs he had when mom was in the nursing home.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
6/1/2015
Social Security Expert: ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients.. replied 3 years ago
ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
I can better explain this in a call. Please let me know if you would like that.
While I agree with you, once a person passes away SS stops paying that benefit.
Often when a couple is used to two SS checks and one passes there is a HUGE loss of income.
Unfortunately these are the SS laws.
Please don't shoot the messenger.
At least let me know I was helpful by rating or saying thanks.