How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I served with the U. S. Air Force in 1956. I enlisted in January

Customer Question

I served with the U. S. Air Force in 1956. I enlisted in January 1956 and received a
Honorable Medical Discharge in June of 1956. At Lackland AFB, I was told that I was
not eligible for any benefits. I thought that it would be wise to determine what your
records indicate. AF 1131 6119. 3PM 5/29/15
Thank You, *****
Hyde Park, N.Y.###-##-####
I was disconnected from a representative and connected to the SSA survey.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon James,
First of all, from one veteran to another, thank you for your service to our country.
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking about military benefits or social security benefits?
2. If military, what sort of benefits are you thinking about? Retirement, disability, old age?
3. If Social Security, what sort of benefits? I presume that you are receiving retirement benefits from social security already, yes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I currently receive SSA benefits, but wish to be informed if my benefits would be increased if my military service can be
credited to increase Social Security benefits.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
Thank you for your clarification. I served in the USAF from 73-77.
While there is a special, extra earnings amount which is added to the annual earnings of service members who since 1957 have had military service earnings for active duty, it is not a direct benefit to the retiree, but rather add additional income to the quarterly earnings registered with social security.
The income added to the earnings during the active duty year’s amounts to $300 per quarter for time served on active duty. This results in a very small increase in the full retirement benefit of the retired veteran. There is no special benefit for veterans of the Viet Nam war that served overseas. The special, extra earnings amount applies to all service members who served from 1957 through 2001.
And under the rules of social security, for military service
• From 1957 through 1967, they will add the extra credits to your record when you apply for Social Security benefits.
• From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record.
• After 2001, there are no special extra earnings credits for military service.
Because your service preceded 1957, you would not be eligible for any bump in social security benefit based on your service.
That being said, you truly have lost very little. As your term of enlistment was just 6 months, you would have qualified for only an addition of $600 to your lifetime earnings, and based on the average person’s social security benefit, that additional $600 would have resulted in an increase in your monthly benefit of just 21 cents per month.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,