Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 71, getting my own social security, can I go back an see…

Customer Question
I am 71, getting my...
I am 71, getting my own social security, can I go back an see about my first husband's benefits??? I have been married and divorced since then. What is the limit ????? Thank you, Martha
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
5/28/2015
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 3 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good afternoon Martha,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
There is no time limit on when you may ask social security to look into switching you from your own retirement benefit to an ex-spouse benefit.
The maximum you can qualify for as an ex-spouse would be 50% of the full retirement age benefit owing to your ex. To qualify you may not be married to a new spouse when you apply, you must have been married at least 10 years and you will need to show a copy of your marriage license and the divorce decree.
While there is no guaranteed way to locate a social security number, I can give you some guidance in where to start.
1. Look on the last year's tax return that you filed together--state or federal and it will be there.
2. Contact your old bank where you may have had a joint account because every bank account you have has your social security number attached to it.
3. Every credit card you and he have had an application and that application needed your social security numbers so that you could apply for credit.
4. If you rent an apartment or home with him, chances are good that you provided a written document to the landlord before you rented with your social security numbers so that they could run a credit check on you.
5. Colleges require that you provide your social security number, and they would have that information on file.
6. Any employer that he worked for in since 1936 would have a record of your social security number.
7 Finally, even the military can provide you with a number if you can provide basic information about the service member which is retrievable from his birth certificate, and even his death certificate.
8. Finally, for numbers of persons deceased, keep in mind that if the person has died, virtually every death certificate issued in the US over the past 40 years has the social security number of the deceased entered on the document.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug