Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

How do I go about getting SS benefits from my ex husband's

Customer Question

How do I go about getting SS benefits from my ex husband's SS? we were married more than 10 years. he is 65 I am turning 62 next month
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
OK, first, you need to decide if you want to take retirement this early. Doing so, be it spousal or your own, will result in a substantial and permanent reduction to your remaining lifetime retirement benefits (as much as a 30% reduction.
Second, you will only be able to secure spousal at this early time, if your spousal is greater than your OWN benefit work record amount. When we are under full retirement age, we don't get the option of only taking spousal, regardless of our own, and allowing ours to grow yet another 32% great than our primary insurance amount. We are forced to take the highest one we are eligible for AND, it consists of our own benefit plus any excess spousal amount we may be due. IN case you wish to delve further in these extra issues, I will ask that you be provided an 'additional services' option - totally optional!
But, if you want to file for spousal, you can do so by going to
http://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-2.html
Good luck with all!
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!
Hello again. It is month end - Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:
1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR
2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.
If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service - to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!
Sincerely,
Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional