How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a daughter who is mentally disturbed and has been living

Customer Question

I have a daughter who is mentally disturbed and has been living with me for 7 t0 8 years.
to take care of her . I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF SS COULD HELP with the LIVING EXPENSES OR PUT HER IN OTHER LIVING QUARTERS. SHE IS VERY UNCOOPERATIVE and defensive TO EXPLAIN HOW THE GOVERNMENT IS HELPING HER WITH FOOD STAMPS ,MEDICATIONS ,ETC. About a year ago she was helping defraying the expenses , but now she is not receiving any more help and I don't know why. I could really use some help.Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
If your daughter is unable to work due to mental illness and/or additional medical impairments, she may be eligible for social security disability (if she has a recent decent work history) or SSI, supplemental security income (if she is 'poor', which is sounds like). One must prove severe limitations in capacity to perform work related tasks, even just a simple unskilled job, though medical evidence. Thus, she must be regularly treating for her condition(s), such as a psychiatrist periodically and weekely mental health therapy/counseling, generally.
If you would like, she can contact me (or you can, but without her cooperation this may be difficult) and I will give you an "additional services" button you can choose to use (or not, totally optional). We can discuss her situation and whether she has a strong case, or needs to get proactive in making it strong.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. It is month end - Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:
1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR
2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.
If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service - to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!
Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional