How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask retirementlawyer Your Own Question
retirementlawyer, Tax Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 17225
Experience:  13 years experience in social security
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
retirementlawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed spouse benefits at age 61. I cancelled

Customer Question

I filed for surviving spouse benefits at age 61. I cancelled them when my income increased. Can I file under my own social number at full retirement age?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
My name is***** am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Yes, you are entitled to a widows benefit or your own benefits at FRA. However, it would be best to take the widows benefits, and let your own benefits receive delayed credits of 8% per year until age 70 and switch, this will give you more benefits.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 2 years ago.
good luck, and if satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you