How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask retirementlawyer Your Own Question
retirementlawyer, Tax Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 17252
Experience:  13 years experience in social security
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
retirementlawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married yrs I have never remarried I am currently

Customer Question

i was married for 15 yrs I have never remarried I am currently collecting social security. My exhusband's social security amount is a little more than mine....Is it possible to collect his?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Could you explain a little more?
How old is your ex-husband?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my exhusband is 62 yrs old
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry, I do not offer telephone consultations. So, I will opt out and give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.
Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
My name is***** am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
If you have been divorced, and married over 10 years, you can apply for spousal benefits based on your ex spouses benefits, however, you would only receive 50% of his benefits, so if that amount is higher than your current benefits they would be paid to you, if not you would only receive your current benefits.
Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 2 years ago.
If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, so we can receive credit, thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have never remarried
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My ex husband chose to not draw SS at this time. He knows I'm checking into drawing his if I can. It's just title a little over $100 more but every little bit helps.
Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 2 years ago.
You can receive benefits on his record if you have been divorced for at least two years, even if he did not apply, since he is 62 and is entitled.