How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3282
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be 65 next week. My husband died in 2005; his SS benefits

Customer Question

I will be 65 next week. My husband died in 2005; his SS benefits would be higher than mine. How do I find out what amount I would be eligible to collect if I stop working in July 2015.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
You will probably be entitled to a widow's benefit. You will receive your own retirement benefit amount first and that amount will be supplemented with whatever extra benefit amount you are due as a widow.
The following link contains excellent information you will find helpful:
The main number for the Social Security Administration is 1.***-***-****, and the hours of operation are between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Please let me know if I can assist you further.
Thank you and best regards,
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts JustAnswer to compensate me.
Best regards,