How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13549
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To establish a new social security direct deposit account SSA

Customer Question

To establish a new social security direct deposit account SSA requires me to provide the routing number for the checks going to my existing account, which loads a debit card. How can I know the routing number since I never see the checks, which I have presumed to be those if the agency itself?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
Are you saying that your Chase bank branch manager, that you called, refuses to tell you the routing number for your bank account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I havent been able to talk with the branch manager, but with several employees, only one of whom seemed to be familiar with
the situation
(she indicated that this program is actually that of another entity (not identified) and said she need to check something and would "call right back". She never did.'
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
What phone number did you call and where did you get the phone number from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I called the branch's number, listed on its website.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
What state is it in? And is it your local bank?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ininTexas. And it appears to be the routing number of the undisclosed entity rhat is "confidential"
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
OK, first, no, your routing number is ***** the number related to the bank that you opened an account with. It is NOT some undisclosed entity. And the SSA doesn't have control over it.
There are a few ways to get the routing. 1) Yes, you could order checks from your bank. 2) You could also simply walk into the bank and ask a teller. 3) You could also look at your bank opening paperwork, whcih will have it noted.
4) You can also go to Chase online and engage in some online banking. For instance, I can have my bank send anyone I want, including myself, a check for $1. That check will be drafted by the bank, permitted by me, and like any other check, have routing number and checking account number.
Also, although it has been awhile, if you change your direct deposit ONLINE, I do not think the SSA asks for your old routing number, so you may just want to do it that way. Let me know if you need to know how to get there online.
Lastly, and this would be fastest, Chase tells us that the Texas routing number is###-##-####
You can try it and if you succeed in changing your DD, you know it is accurate.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I KNOW the bank's routing number. It is NOT that on file with SSA, which they will not disclose. That these accounts are handled by an undisclosed entity is a statement from Chase itself. Your ANswers have not advanced the matter one bit; you have told me nothing I didn't already know, so I am dissatisfied and ask that my charge be reversed.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
I gave you the ROUTING NUMBER for the bank you specifically told me you had an account with - the very thing you were looking for. Do you have a new request of me? Why would you be UNSATISFIED with that?
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
I also provided you with multiple ways in which you could otherwise retrieve your routing number. I am very confused here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I already had that, and SSA says it is incorrect (it has said this several times). So I am stymied. I did not need you to tell me the routing numer of Chase. The point is that something odd is going on here. I am dissatisfied because I have already tried all your suggestions, to no avail.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
No worries, you need not pay. I think I misunderstood your need because you actually said this, "How can I know the routing number since I never see the checks, which I have presumed to be those if the agency itself?" So obviously I understood that to mean, "how can I know the routing number..." and so I provided you with the way you could "know" the routing number. As it turns out, it would appear that your account is not at the bank you believe it to be.
Let me ask you - have you sought to change your DD online? How did you attempt it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not aware of how that could be done. It may be enlightening that some months ago, about an unrelated query the branch manager said, "oh we have nothing to do with those accounts". So obviously Chase has lent its name to some enterprise (it is discontuinuing its "service" effective July 31, which is how the entire matter arises). It is all very mysterious. (The debit card itself has provided no occasion for complaint). But now I need to establish a new debit card account through another provider, to do which I need SSA assent, which they will do only if I provide the current routing number, which is not Chase's . I spoke five SSA people yesterday, always to be told that I must provide the routing number I cannot get.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Try this: go to
See if you can set up / change your DD there.
Another thing you can do is sign up for a Direct Express debit card, by going to
I am still extremely confused by what kind of bank account you opened but don't have paperwork for. But in any event, if you didn't retain that paperwork, I would use the above avenues as a work-around the problem. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am trying to set up a "godirect" account. It is a debit card account, for which I receive (from Chase) a monthly statement. (At least it purports to be from Chase (and it is Chase's name on the debit card). I have to go now, so I will have to leave all this unresolved. I confess it is all confusing, and that I should have been able to explain it better. So thanks anyway. (But as a 77 year old livin on social security I would have been glad to pay for a solution to the problem.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Go Direct IS what the SSA uses for its debit card for those without bank accounts! My mother uses USDirectExpress that works very well also.
You are saying you are trying to set up he go direct debit card, and you mention Chase. Do you think that is the "entity" you had the prior account with, not really a bank account in the traditional sense but the SSA's debit card arrangement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I think if it was SSA's arrangement they wouldn't be giving me all this grief. Bye!
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Go to the links above, you will see what I am telling you about.