ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

I will turn 62 in July, lost my husband in 1998 and I have

Customer Question

I will turn 62 in July, lost my husband in 1998 and I have a survivor annunity and was wondering if I am eligible to draw his social security at this time and will it affect the annuity..
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He worked civil service and never collected SSI disability or anything like that after being diagnosed with terminal cancer. He was paid an annuity from civil service and now I collect a survivor benefit that is taxable. I want to know if I am able to collect his social security. How much will be taken away from the survivor benefit that also includes my health insurance...can I collect his social security until I get ready to retire...can I still work and collect social security...I will be turning 62 in July, born in 1953. Your knowledge and expertise will be greatly appreciated. As I approach this part of the journey in my life I want to make the right decisions and go forward knowing that I will be alright. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
An annuity never effects SS.
If married for at least 10 years the answer should be yes. However there could be a problem if as a civil service he never contributed to SS.
I will offer you a call to discuss in greater detail.