How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have just retired and am deciding whether to take my benefits

Customer Question

I have just retired and am deciding whether to take my benefits at age 66 or to wait until 70 so that I can receive the maximum. My husband retired many years ago and already receives his own SS. My benefits are separate from his based on my own employment history. If we both receive benefits, is there a family maximum which caps our collective SS benefits?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer and can assist.
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
There is a family maximum, but that will not apply to you. It is applied to people claiming social security disability and/or widow's or divorced spouse benefits.
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
The maximum will not apply in your scenario, based on your claiming benefits on your own work record. There is no cap on the benefits a husband claiming on his record and a wife claiming on hers can receive.If you were claiming on your husband's work record (a spousal benefit), the maximum is generally 180% of his benefit, which won't apply to you even in this case, since your spousal benefit would be a maximum of 50% of his.
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer