Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Are all Social Security benefits tax free after the age 65,

Customer Question
or do the provisional income...
Are all Social Security benefits tax free after the age 65, or do the provisional income amounts apply and taxes are due when total income is over those provisional amounts?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
12/6/2014
Social Security Expert: R. Klein, EA, Accountant replied 3 years ago
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant
Hi! I'll be glad to help you today with this question.
There are two different concepts you need to know about your SSA retirement benefits.
First, once you reach Full Retirement Age (FRA), then any other income you earn will not reduce your SSA retirement benefit. Prior to FRA, other income you earn, such as wages, will reduce your monthly benefit once you exceed a certain limit.
Second, taxation of your retirement benefit is possible at ANY age. There is a special formula that includes your income from all other sources, plus half your SSA retirement benefit. Once you exceed the limits, then a PORTION of your retirement benefit is subject to income tax. The taxable portion of your SSA benefit ranges from 0% to 85%. (This is Not the tax RATE, but how much of the benefit is subject to tax).
If your ONLY income is Social Security, then NONE of your benefit is taxable.
If you:
file a federal tax return as an "individual"
and your combined income* is between $25,000 and $34,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.
more than $34,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.
file a joint return,
and you and your spouse have a combined income* that is between $32,000 and $44,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits
more than $44,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.
are married and file a separate tax return, you probably will pay taxes on your benefits.
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant
R Klein was very helpful -
Thank you. No need to respond further.