Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I need to change my home address, and I need a new copy of…

Customer Question
I need to change my...
I need to change my home address, and I need a new copy of my Medicare Card and my Social Security Card. Where do I go on line to do these things?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
12/5/2014
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 3 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

OK, with regard to your request:

"I need to change my home address, ------ See #1, below.

"and I need a new copy of my Medicare Card -------- See #3 below.

"and my Social Security Card. ------- See #2, below.

1. You can go here to change your address: http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

2. You can click here to get to the application and directions for a replacement SS card.

3. You can go here to for instructions and the online process to request the Medicare card.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online legal resource!

This was no help at all When I try to call to call the toll free number for two days I get the same answer, they no one available to talk to me. So I go down to the local Social Security Office. There are a so many people waiting for help you can't find a place to sit and wait. Est 2 hr wait. So the guard at the door tells me I can save time by going on line. So, like I said when I contacted you for help, for a charge of $32 you can help me. Well after all your help I'm going to have to go back to the Social Security Office anyway. I wasted $32. Thanks a lot Bob Sorenson

Wow Bob, that was a tad rude. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and believe that you are clearly mixing your question to me, with that you may have asked of someone else.

If you look above, you asked me, and I quote:

"
Where do I go on line to do these things?"

I gave you EXACTLY what you asked for, in precise detail. Can you please clarify for me how I wasted YOUR time since I did exactly what you asked of me? Doesn't seem right. I am wondering if the reverse is true.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Sorry to seem rude, but I have to base my conclusion on results.

Problem #1 Medicare rejected my effort to register so I could get my address changed and they back information doesn't match and canceled everything without any explination.

Problem # ***** I have to down to the Social Security Office to get a form. They don't have any forms outside the work stations, so I'm going to have to get in line again to get the form requesting a new ss card. I might as well stay and fill out right there.

Problem #3 I have spent some two hours trying to get a new Medicare card. I got close once but every thing then went somewhere and I couldn't get it back. So I'm still going to have to deal with that at Social Security next week as well.

So my efforts to take care of my needs on line was a complete waste of time and money. I am very frustrated, so if I sound rude, that's why. Bob S

Sorry to seem rude, but I have to base my conclusion on results. - I disagree on basing behavior on results when you received the results requested. However, I DO understand your utter frustration. I deal with the SSA nearly 365 days/year and about 90% of them are frustrating. When I first started on a full time basis, I used to pull my hair out. I soon decided I had to get a grip on my reaction or else I'd go nuts and have to change my legal practice (which I didn't want to do )

Problem #1 Medicare rejected my effort to register so I could get my address changed OK, Bob, did you FIRST go here: to change the address? This is completely separate from asking for a new card. See above.
http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

Now, it is true that the above link doesn't work for everyone - and it does require that the info you put in to identify yourself matches that which you have on your SS card. And, let's face it, the computer based world is not 100%, so sometimes, yes, we must do it the old fashion way - in person. But if that is the case, I strongly suggest you plan on getting to that office a good 15 minutes before it opens. Why go mid-day and fight the lines? With budget and staff shortages, it is a recipe for a long wait. I went about 2 weeks ago, because I needed something right away for 2 people - and I was first in line. I didn't sit in my car waiting for them to open, I wore my warm coat and stood at the door to ensure my spot, no time to waste.

and they back information [??} doesn't match and canceled everything without any explination. Cancelled your online request, I assume? At which site, can you clarify?

Problem # ***** I have to down to the Social Security Office to get a form. They don't have any forms outside the work stations, so I'm going to have to get in line again to get the form requesting a new ss card. I might as well stay and fill out right there. Do you have the number of the form? What form do you need?

Problem #3 I have spent some two hours trying to get a new Medicare card. I got close once but every thing then went somewhere and I couldn't get it back. So I'm still going to have to deal with that at Social Security next week as well. It is not clear where it "went" since I can't see what buttons you clicked before it left you.

So my efforts to take care of my needs on line was a complete waste of time and money. I am very frustrated, so if I sound rude, that's why. Bob S It may have been a waste of your time, Bob, no argument there, although I thank you for trying. BUT, it was not a waste of your money. This site respects all requests for refund of deposit - so please feel free to click on your customer service button and make the request. I have every confidence in them in that regard - having volunteered to spend time here contributing for over 6 years now. You can take that $32 and use it for a relaxing lunch/brunch AFTER to you get through your early visit to your SS office if you find you still can't negotiate through those online links to accomplish what you need (which happned).

Good luck.

PS As you can see, I am not clicking an "answer" button here - feel free to get that refund. I won't be offended.