Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My son and daughter-in-law have been very ill. They have both…

My son and daughter-in-law have...
My son and daughter-in-law have been very ill. They have both applied for soc sec disability
My daughter-in-law was ok'd but my sons is still pending. I have been paying housing, electric water etc to keep them off the streets. Her benefit is $587 per month. They said she qualified for some SSI and now they say she wasn't eligible because she wasn't paying and of her own living expenses. so they are making her pay it back. There is nothing in writing except the original disability qualification. They were expected to pay me when they received a benefit but you can't pay if you have no income. She was told this morning that she had to have a rental agreement to get this straightened. How do you have a legal document 3 years after the fact. I am trying to help straighten this out she has been ill and gets very confused. can you give me some direction
12/4/2014
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 36 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.
YES she does need rental agreement or she will have to pay back the money which is unfair but that is the law. And getting a rental agreement is possible if the landlord agrees to back date it as this is done all the time in this type of situation. In the alternative, if she gets a letter that says she needs to pay it back, there is a process to appeal known as the Request for Reconsideration. Make sure she files it. Thereafter her case will be reviewed. And with a letter from you stating you paid the rent, etc, that will work. Do not give up. This is the solution.
Please rate my answer ok or better so that I am paid for helping you.
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY