Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can I receive Social Security from one of my 2 ex husbands…

Can I receive Social Security...
Can I receive Social Security from one of my 2 ex husbands who are still living? I was married to my first husband for 12 years and we had 2 children. I was married to my second husband for 11 yrs. No children. I am currently 73 years of age and started drawing my SocialSecurity at age 62, Both of my ex husbands SS is much more than my own. Would appreciate any help you could give me on this.
Thank You. Rachel Brazil
12/2/2014
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 36 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.
You can collect your spousal benefit which is one half of what either ex husband collects so long as that one half is greater than your benefit now. Note, to apply, you need to go in person to any SSA office as this cannot be done by phone or on line. Also, you have to provide a copy of your marriage license and divorce agreement as you have to prove you were married at least ten years.
I WISH YOU WELL. PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER OK OR BETTER SO THAT I AM PAID FOR HELPING YOU. THANKS VERY MUCH.
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY