Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My wife, who receives Social Security, has inaccurate information…

My wife, who receives Social...
My wife, who receives Social Security, has inaccurate information on her record. For example, her first husband, who she was married to for 10 years and not I, her second husband to whom she has been married for 32 years, is listed as her spouse. Also, my birthdate is used next to his name. I'm concerned that my wife will not get my full SSA benefits after I die because of the mix up, especially since I earned far more than her first husband and my SSA benefit will be much higher. SSA has told my wife over the phone that, once entered, information can't be changed, even though she applied over the phone for SSA and whomever entered her information put it in wrong. They have said that I may be able to correct spouse information when I apply for SSA later. How can we be assured that she will receive the right benefit?
12/2/2014
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

My wife, who receives Social Security, has inaccurate information on her record. OK.

For example, her first husband, who she was married to for 10 years and not I, her second husband to whom she has been married for 32 years, is listed as her spouse.----- OK. I am curious about how this came to your attention? If you aren't collecting...

Also, my birthdate is used next to his name. I'm concerned that my wife will not get my full SSA benefits after I die because of the mix up, especially since I earned far more than her first husband and my SSA benefit will be much higher. ------- When she files for survivor benefits, she will bring her marriage certificate proving when she married you, as well as death certificate.

SSA has told my wife over the phone that, once entered, information can't be changed, even though she applied over the phone for SSA and whomever entered her information put it in wrong. It can be changed. If you feel strongly about it and will otherwise worry, I'd put my demands politely in writing, mailed certified RRR. If they don't respond for more than a month (or 60 days), I'd resend and CC my Congressperson.

They have said that I may be able to correct spouse information when I apply for SSA later. How can we be assured that she will receive the right benefit?Because when one applies, if something goes awry, that is when they appeal to get it fixed. I am not saying you shouldn't be able to get it fixed NOW, but I don't want you worrying about it either. As long as she can prove the issues WHEN she is applying, that should be fine. I sense that the SSA work simply doesn't want to do the work now since it will help no one now (and possibly never).

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy

Your online legal resource!

Stephanie O Joy, Esq

Thank you. With respect to your question, we know the record information because SSA sent it to my wife after she applied for benefits.