Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

if you were married for over 10 years and then divorced and…

if you were married for...
if you were married for over 10 years and then divorced and remarried 10 years ago, are you entitled tdo benefits from both spouses as well as your own earnings when filing for yourself?
12/1/2014
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 36 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.
You are entitled to your spousal benefits which is one half of which ever spouse's benefits are higher. Likewise, if your own benefit is higher than either spouse, you would collect yours only as you cannot combine benefits from former spouses or your own.
I wish you well.
Please rate my answer ok or better so that I am paid for helping you.

thank you for your help - but i need a little clarification. am i to understand that under the scenario i inquiried about i am only entitled to either my own benefit based on my own earnings or a sum equal to 1/2 of either (not both) of my former spouse's or current spouse's whichever is the highest benefit of the 3? 1/2 of ex's; 1/2 of current spouse; or 100% of my own?

That is correct as you cannot combine your benefits with either ex's. Likewise, if your own benefit is higher, you would only receive your benefit.
I wish you well.
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY