Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I just turned 66 On October 3rd. I have been self employed…

Customer Question
I just turned 66...
I just turned 66 On October 3rd. I have been self employed for the past 22 years as a music teacher of young children, and hope to continue working. The questions is I have no pension or retirement fund, and wondering if I should collect benefits now or wait till I am 70. We are planning on moving from New York to VErmont, , and I will be out of work until I can set up business again. My husband is a therapist, so he will begin a new practice there, but because we have no savings (due to a number of circumstances that I wont go into) I am not sure if financially I should take the money now or wait. I was told I would receive about $1800 now, and about $2300 when I am 70 yrs old My husband is 62 and will not be collecting for another 4 years..
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
12/1/2014
Social Security Expert: retirementlawyer, Tax Attorney replied 3 years ago
retirementlawyer
retirementlawyer, Tax Attorney
retirementlawyer :

Hello and welcome. My name is***** am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

retirementlawyer :

you have a few options at this point,

retirementlawyer :

since you are at full retirement age, you can take benefits now, and your spouse could take a spousal benefit, however, he would have an early reduction penalty at age 62, so this may not be best

retirementlawyer :

Another option is the claim and suspend, where you can file and suspend your benefits, and have him take a spousal benefit now,

retirementlawyer :

and you switch to your own benefits at age 70

retirementlawyer :

he would also be able to switch to his benefits later as well

retirementlawyer :

If you need money at this point,

retirementlawyer :

it may be worth it to take benefits at age 66, and have your spouse delay taking spousal benefits or any benefits until you need a larger amount,

retirementlawyer :

so you would take it now, and at age 64 o 65, he could take spousal benefits if you need the extra income,

retirementlawyer :

If your spouse will wait and collect at age 66, and you need money now, taking it now, will be fine,

retirementlawyer :

as the delayed credits benefits would come in four years,

retirementlawyer :

by that time, your spouse would also receive his benefits so you would have a good amount of benefits.

retirementlawyer :

If you do not need the income now, and can afford to wait, taking it at 70 is best, ***** ***** is not worth the wait, if you cannot pay bills or live comfortably now.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

I dont understand the clam and suspend benefit. What do you mean by this.

Under current law a spouse cannot claim a spousal benefit unless the main beneficiary claims benefits first. However, once full retirement age (FRA) is reached (age 66 for those born between 1943 and 1954), a beneficiary can file for benefits, but then immediately suspend receipt of those benefits until some future date. By doing this, his or her spouse can claim a spousal benefit and the main beneficiary can let his or her own retirement benefit grow at 8 percent per year. In addition, if both spouses have reached FRA, it is possible for the spouse's own benefit to grow due to delayed requirement credits.
This is an example that is similar to you:
Joe has just reached his FRA of 66. His wife, Mary, will turn 62 in a couple of months. Joe's benefit at FRA is $2000 a month. Mary's benefit at her FRA is $400 a month, reflecting a limited work history. Mary wants to retire and start Social Security at age 62 while Joe wants to work until age 70. If Mary claims just her own retirement benefits, she gets $300 a month (= $400×0.75) because of the early retirement penalty. However, Joe can file for his own retirement benefits and then suspend receipt of them until age 70, earning delayed retirement credits until that time. Using this strategy, Mary can now claim spousal benefits at age 62 and receive $720 a month. She'll get her own benefit of $300 plus a 70 percent of the spousal benefit available to her, which is $420 (= 0.7×($1000−$400)). And Joe can grow his monthly benefits to at least $2640 a month as a result of his delayed retirement credits.
I am a NY Attorney with over 15 years experience, if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.
If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you