Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I retired at age 62, If wasn't enough money for me to live…

I retired at age 62...
I retired at age 62, If wasn't enough money for me to live on so I had to go back to work. I will be eligible to retire from the VA in 2 years. This income is higher that my previous income. How can factor that income into my social security payement
12/1/2014
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 36 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.
Did you start collecting SS benefits at 62. Are you collecting SS benefits now.

I started collecting at 62. My benefits have stopped because I am working

Sorry but I don't have good news. Your benefits stopped because you were making too much money. Note if you earned more than $28000 per year, your benefits stop. However, once you retire, and have no further income, your benefits will resume. But here is the bad part. By starting early SS, you incurred a 25 percent reduction. And when you start again, your additional income will be factored in to calculate your new benefit which may or may not be higher as SS looks at the highest ten years of income. But that new amount will be reduced by 25 percent as the early benefit penalty carries forward. Sorry. Thanks for understanding.
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER OK OR BETTER SO THAT I AM PAID FOR HELPING YOU.
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY