Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My dad died last week!!:( He lived in Maryland!! I asked my…

My dad died last week!!:(...
My dad died last week!!:( He lived in Maryland!! I asked my mom was she going to apply for his social security! She said she could only receive one time payment of 255.00!! Is this true?
4/3/2014
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you today

Megan C :

How are you doing?

Megan C :

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss!

Megan C :

Your mom can get your father's benefit, starting at age 60. Prior to that, she is not eligible

Megan C :

Also, if she's drawing off her own account and her benefit was higher than his benefit, she would not get anything additional, either

Customer:

Hi Megan. Im hanging in there!! Thxs for asking!! Shes 76 yrs old!!! But her benefit was higher then my dad's!!! So i guess the info she recieved was true about the one time payment of 255.00!!

Megan C :

Yes, if her's is larger, she doesn't get an additional benefit, unfortunately

Megan C :

Only one benefit per person

Customer:

Ok! Has it alway been this way? Also i just have to mk one time payment of 28.00 right?

Megan C :

Unfortunately it has always been this way :-( and yes, I am showing that you are a "one time" customer :-)

Customer:

Ok.My sisters husbands died about 20 yrs ago. Y did she gett

Customer:

Ok. Thx u for ur help!!!! Have a bless day!!!!:

Megan C :

You're welcome ... if you would, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Megan C :

Thanks so much :-)

Customer:

Ok.Will do!!!